So now that I have gotten the floors pulled up it’s time to start creating a crawlspace. The idea I have is to dig out the crawl space, jack up the house and get it all level, build a real foundation, and then set the house back on it.
So that starts by digging. Lots and lots of digging.
The process I’m using is to chop up the dirt with a pick ax, shovel it into 5 gallon buckets, and then haul the buckets out either to the wheel barrow, or as the pile gets taller, directly to the pile.
I went ahead and removed the floor joists in the back additions because they looked like this! Not useful anymore anyway and they made the digging much harder by being in the way.
Buckets getting filled.
Also, I’ve decided I’m never burying any treasure because it’s too much work! I’ll find a better way to hide things!
All done in that room. It’s VERY satisfying each time I finish off a segment!
Ok. I didn’t actually burn down the house. But I did turn the big old heap of old deck wood into firewood and give it away!
This heap had been here for a while and hadn’t gone anywhere. I had been hoping that someone would just make it disappear but it didn’t work out that way. So I decided to chop it into pieces that would fit in someones stove and see if that helped. It did! A friend of mine wanted a bunch and the last bit got picked up bit by bit by some local folks.
It’s a good deal when everyone involved thinks they got the best end of the deal.I got rid of some ‘trash’ from my house and my friend and some other folks got to heat their house a little bit cheaper. Recycling and reusing is the best! So far with all the demolition I’ve managed to make one trip to the dump (right near the beginning when I felt I just needed to get a head start on getting stuff OUT of the way.) and the rest has been gotten rid of just through the weekly trash days. Almost all the wood has gone either into my wood box on the garage or into someone else’s wood stack, or into the garage for reuse later on in the project. All that has gone to the trash is mouldy drywall, panelling, and mouse turd infested insulation.
This was one of the many layers of flooring in the little back bedroom.
Probably the coolest find yet!
This is a piece of rather fibrous paper that comes apart in stringy layers if you try to tear it. But the cool thing about it that it has the name and address of the old Ridgway Mercantile on it! And a COD label from the Ridgway Express Agency! Too fun!
No more toilet. Cue instant need to pee…
This floor was damn near impossible to get to. My goodness. The plywood on top had glued on vinyl flooring that covered the screws so it involved prying things up to discover where the screws might be, scraping the vinyl up to find the screw head, remove screw. Repeat. About 100 times. 😛 And then this layer of floor is just icky. And saggy. And soggy.
No more wall between the bathroom and the ‘big’ bedroom.
Another view. Next to go will be that other bathroom wall. The wall with a dark, dark, evil secret…
Dun dun duuuuuuuh! When I first opened up this wall my first though was ‘wow, this wall has been on fire’ (the wood stove was right on the other side of this wall.) But no. Thats not soot. Soot would be nice. Thats mould. Mould is NOT nice. SOOO glad I have a decent face mask!
More ‘pretty’ mould. This is on the living room side of the wall, under the fake wood panelling and on top of the dry wall. The YELLOW dry wall…
The secret is revealed! Between the vintage carpet with the vintage dog smell embedded in it and the damp and mouldy bathroom, it’s no wonder at all that the house smelled OLD when this project began!
So this is the pre-demolition bathroom. Sorry I didn’t take other pictures of it.
No more sink or mirror.
Fine cabinetry by Bits and Pieces building company…
No more cabinet frame either. When in doubt, rip it out!
And now it’s time to make the walls go away! Icky, icky walls. But it gets better! Mwahahahaha!