So now that I have gotten the floors pulled up it’s time to start creating a crawlspace. The idea I have is to dig out the crawl space, jack up the house and get it all level, build a real foundation, and then set the house back on it.
So that starts by digging. Lots and lots of digging.
The process I’m using is to chop up the dirt with a pick ax, shovel it into 5 gallon buckets, and then haul the buckets out either to the wheel barrow, or as the pile gets taller, directly to the pile.
I went ahead and removed the floor joists in the back additions because they looked like this! Not useful anymore anyway and they made the digging much harder by being in the way.
Buckets getting filled.
Also, I’ve decided I’m never burying any treasure because it’s too much work! I’ll find a better way to hide things!
All done in that room. It’s VERY satisfying each time I finish off a segment!
So this house needs some work. A lot of work. And not just cosmetic stuff. While the original cabin is pretty level, square, and not leaking water, every addition is sagging and the roof in the back bedroom leaks. Plus the whole house smells like 40 year old carpet with a side dose of dog. And so it begins…
The deck is gone (Off to the dump and also a massive pile waiting to become firewood) and I’ve dug back the dirt from the edge of the house so I can peek underneath and see whats what with the foundation.
Gee, putting wood under a damp deck AND partly buried in the ground doesn’t seem to be very good for it…
And since this is the (lack of) foundation under the mudroom there is no surprise why its all saggy!
This is under the original cabin. Much better! Amazing how some concrete and rocks do so much to keep the wood from rotting out!
Looking further under the original cabin. Looks pretty good! The beer can is just one of MANY MANY interesting, old, half rusted things I found under the floor.
- Looks a bit better with all the rotten stuff trimmed off.
Oh yea! More digging. Lets see what this end of the foundation looks like.
Dug out and ready for a peek…
Well, underneath is more of the same. Cobwebs and dirt. Only at this end of the house the ‘crawl’ space is only about 4 inches high. The original cabin is in pretty good shape but this bit back here on the bedroom addition is… well… you can see exactly how that piece of wood is shaped. It’s mostly rotted out.
So it seems that my original plan to get under the house in a couple spots and jack it up from the outside will be more difficult than needed and I won’t do as good of a job as could be done from the inside. The carpet needs to go anyway and I have no idea what the floor is like but having an actual crawlspace will make future repairs (plumbing, electrical, etc) MUCH better so…. Join me for our next episode! Time to take out some floors!