No more toilet. Cue instant need to pee…
This floor was damn near impossible to get to. My goodness. The plywood on top had glued on vinyl flooring that covered the screws so it involved prying things up to discover where the screws might be, scraping the vinyl up to find the screw head, remove screw. Repeat. About 100 times. 😛 And then this layer of floor is just icky. And saggy. And soggy.
No more wall between the bathroom and the ‘big’ bedroom.
Another view. Next to go will be that other bathroom wall. The wall with a dark, dark, evil secret…
Dun dun duuuuuuuh! When I first opened up this wall my first though was ‘wow, this wall has been on fire’ (the wood stove was right on the other side of this wall.) But no. Thats not soot. Soot would be nice. Thats mould. Mould is NOT nice. SOOO glad I have a decent face mask!
More ‘pretty’ mould. This is on the living room side of the wall, under the fake wood panelling and on top of the dry wall. The YELLOW dry wall…
The secret is revealed! Between the vintage carpet with the vintage dog smell embedded in it and the damp and mouldy bathroom, it’s no wonder at all that the house smelled OLD when this project began!
So this is the pre-demolition bathroom. Sorry I didn’t take other pictures of it.
No more sink or mirror.
Fine cabinetry by Bits and Pieces building company…
No more cabinet frame either. When in doubt, rip it out!
And now it’s time to make the walls go away! Icky, icky walls. But it gets better! Mwahahahaha!
So this house needs some work. A lot of work. And not just cosmetic stuff. While the original cabin is pretty level, square, and not leaking water, every addition is sagging and the roof in the back bedroom leaks. Plus the whole house smells like 40 year old carpet with a side dose of dog. And so it begins…
The deck is gone (Off to the dump and also a massive pile waiting to become firewood) and I’ve dug back the dirt from the edge of the house so I can peek underneath and see whats what with the foundation.
Gee, putting wood under a damp deck AND partly buried in the ground doesn’t seem to be very good for it…
And since this is the (lack of) foundation under the mudroom there is no surprise why its all saggy!
This is under the original cabin. Much better! Amazing how some concrete and rocks do so much to keep the wood from rotting out!
Looking further under the original cabin. Looks pretty good! The beer can is just one of MANY MANY interesting, old, half rusted things I found under the floor.
- Looks a bit better with all the rotten stuff trimmed off.
Oh yea! More digging. Lets see what this end of the foundation looks like.
Dug out and ready for a peek…
Well, underneath is more of the same. Cobwebs and dirt. Only at this end of the house the ‘crawl’ space is only about 4 inches high. The original cabin is in pretty good shape but this bit back here on the bedroom addition is… well… you can see exactly how that piece of wood is shaped. It’s mostly rotted out.
So it seems that my original plan to get under the house in a couple spots and jack it up from the outside will be more difficult than needed and I won’t do as good of a job as could be done from the inside. The carpet needs to go anyway and I have no idea what the floor is like but having an actual crawlspace will make future repairs (plumbing, electrical, etc) MUCH better so…. Join me for our next episode! Time to take out some floors!
This is the house about a week before I bought it. So excited to get this house fixed up!