First few boards of this layer of floor are out! They were tricky too since they were the ones right up against the wall. Not much space to work.
A longer view
So here we are at about 1/2 of the floor being out. I have decided that this layer of flooring is not worth saving as a building material. The orignal floor appears to be pine (not oak as I was hoping!), is VERY dry, and is almost impossible to pull up without the tongues and grooves breaking off. So this goes SUPER quickly now! I’m using a circular saw to cut the flooring just to each side of the floor joists. The flooring falls out in nice evenly sized pieces that will fit nicely in the wood stove and they are being stacked in the wood bin in the garage. This just leaves about a 3 inch wide piece nailed to each joist and those are easy to remove by simply swinging a hammer UP at them from between the joists and they fly off. It’s actually kind of fun in a Whack-A-Mole sort of way! What follows is a row by row by row set of pictures as I cut out each section.
And here it is with all the little Whack-A-Mole pieces gone too.
Whew! It’s nice to have a part of the project that is actually moving along quickly! AND I have a nice full wood box now!
All the old flooring is stacked up and filling the wood bin! All ready for next winter!